June 2, 2020  
 E-mail us
 Site Map


Loss of Spousal Coverage

If an employee initially waives health and dental benefits because he or she had comparable coverage under a spousal plan, and his or her spouse subsequently loses coverage, the employee has 31 days in which to apply for benefits under the WRLA program. If application is not made within 31 days, he or she would then be considered a “late applicant” and would have to submit medical evidence before the insurer would accept the employee onto the plan.

Within 31 days:

1. Employee and employer complete the Change Form

2. Send completed copy of the form to the insurer

After 31 days:

1. Employee and employer complete applicable information on the Change Form along with a complete Health Evidence Questionnaire Form

2. Submit the original copy of both forms to the insurer

3. The employee does not have coverage until you receive confirmation from the insurer

back to top

If you have any further questions, please contact us; we'll be glad to help you.

Last updated on:  July 23, 2012  Page: 

This information is not intended for use without professional advice. While we have attempted to make this site as accurate as possible, it is only a summary. For more information, see our disclaimer.

Copyright © 2002 Morneau Shepell.
All Rights Reserved.